Haven’t heard about Suppì?? I bet you are familiar with its Sicilian cousin Arancini that gained more popularity around the world! Instead of round rice balls with a filling of ragu, Supplì is an oval shape filled with rice, sauce, and meat mixed together with a gooey surprise at the center…. MOZZARELLA! Not only are these fried little snacks delicious in every way they are super fun to eat (and easy to make!) Watch our video for some history on the name and our Rosé pairing that made this the perfect aperitivo.
A very loved Roman tradition!
- 6 oz. ground beef
- 14 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 1/2 cups broth (parmigiano, chicken, or veggie will work)
- 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese
- 1 tbsp butter
- olive oil
- 1/2 lb fresh mozzarella cut into rectangular cubes (10 pieces)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- frying oil
- OVERNIGHT: In 5.5 qt dutch oven, heat olive oil over med/high heat and add ground beef. Cook until browned and liquids released. Add tomato sauce and cook together for 5 mins or until bubbly. Season with salt QB. Add rice and continuously stir until rice becomes dry. Slowly add broth into pan a little at a time. Wait until rice fully absorbs then add more. Keep stirring and adding broth until rice softens (approx. 15 mins). Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted. Add parmigiano and stir until all incorporated. Let cool completely. Once cooled put into air tight container and refrigerate overnight.
- NEXT DAY: Prepare mozzarella cubes. Remove rice from fridge. Scoop out about 3 tablespoons of rice mixture and shape into footballs. Press into the center with your thumb to hallow out the center big enough for you mozzarella cube. Place cube inside and work all around the suppli to cover the mozzarella and any seam. Once seam is completely closed and its smooth outside your shaping it down. Repeat should make approx 10 suppli.
- Whisk eggs in one bowl and add breadcrumbs to another bowl. Roll suppli in egg first then roll into crumbs making sure completely covered. Set aside. Repeat.
- Fill a medium sauce pan with frying oil (about 4 inches deep/ enough for suppli to be covered. Oil temp is 320-350 degrees. Fry two at a time for 6-7 mins. Remove onto a cooling rack. Let cool for 5-10 mins before eating.
- Serve and enjoy! Buon Appetito!
Please like this video, ring the bell for notifications, and SUBSCRIBE to our channel!!!! Thank you!!!