Milanese is the perfect lunch! Thinly pounded meat that is breaded and fried to golden perfection topped with a fresh lemony arugula salad. It’s super filling but feels light at the same time. In our recipe we show a classic Pollo alla Milanese as well as a veggie version using beautiful cauliflower steaks. Pair this dish with a glass of flavorful red wine or crisp white and you’ll be enjoying your afternoon pranzo (lunch) in true Italian fashion.
Chicken and Cauliflower Milanese
Italian classic with a veggie twist!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 eggs
- parmigiano grated
- frying oil
- fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 lemon (using the juice)
- drizzle of red wine vinegar
- drizzle olive oil
- 10 oz. cherry tomatoes halved
- Cut cauliflower head into steaks. You should get 3-4 steaks depending on size. Don’t worry if a lot of florets fall off (they will) save for another recipe. Start by steaming cauliflower steaks for 10 mins or until tender but not falling apart soft. Remove and let cool.
- Pound chicken breasts to 1/2 inch thickness. Set up breading station with flour, egg whisked, and mix breadcrumbs with grated parmigiano. Season chicken with salt. Coat chicken in flour then dip into egg and lastly coat in breadcrumb mixture. Repeat same steps with cooled down cauliflower steaks.
- In a large pan fill with frying oil 1/4 inch. Heat on med/high. Add breaded cauliflower and fry each side for 3-4 mins or until golden brown. Remove and drain off excess oil and sprinkle a pinch of salt. Fry chicken in pan 2-3 mins flip chicken and cook on other side. Add fresh basil leaves (be careful oil may jump out) fry until darker green and crisp then set aside to drain. Lower heat if chicken breading is getting too dark. Keep cooking until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Remove and drain excess oil and sprinkle with salt.
- In a large mixing bowl add arugula, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Mix all ingredients until combined. Top arugula salad on chicken and cauliflower and serve immediately.