Check out this NO MEAT “MEAT LOAF” or in Italian they would call it a Veggie Polpetone. It’s so filling and filled with all the good stuff and loads of flavor! A great healthy alternative main dish for dinner any night of the week. I truly love this dish! Even Francesco didn’t miss the meat! That’s a win.
No-Meat-Loaf: Veggie Polpetone
Loaded veggie loaf with tons of flavor!
- 1 carrot minced
- 2 celery stalks minced
- 1 white onion minced
- 10 oz mixed mushrooms (button and cremini I used) minced
- 1 zucchini shredded
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups COOKED lentils
- 1 cup quick cooking old fashioned oats ground down
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- few dashes of worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- olive oil
- In a large sauté pan add olive oil over med/high heat. Add garlic, carrot, celery, onion and mushrooms. Add pinch of salt. After 5 min add zucchini. Cook for another 5 mins then add tomato sauce. Mix well and cook for 2 more minutes. Turn off heat and transfer veggies to bowl to cool down. Add 1 cup of cooked lentils into veggie bowl. The remaining cup of lentils blend down in food processor, chopper, or blender until a smooth consistency then add into veggie bowl. Let all ingredients cool down.
- Add oats, breadcrumbs, parsley, soy sauce, Worcestershire into veggie bowl. Mix together with hands or wooden spoon. Combine well. After a few minutes you’ll be able to feel if the veggie loaf can hold a form. If it feels too dry add a little water and if too wet add a little breadcrumbs. Season with salt/pepper to taste.
- In a medium mixing bowl add tomato pasta, vinegar, maple syrup and whisk together until throughly combined.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In your loaf pan, oil and line with parchment paper. Spoon in all of the veggie mixture and pat down. Then spread the tomato glaze on top of loaf. Cook in oven for 40 mins then let rest in pan for 10 mins. Take out of pan, slice, and serve.